tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Session tracking over redirections with multiple domain names
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 19:00:02 GMT

Not using third-party cookies breaks some web-based applications.

For example, a solution that incorporates services on a Microsoft platform
as well as a Linux platform.  Each server has to have its own FQDN, but the
user wants to see the content from both in one browser window (not two)
with a consistent interface.  Enter the frameset, where one frame contains
content from serverA.domain.com, and another frame contains content from
serverB.domain.com.

Granted, in general purpose web browsing there is no need to do this or
even allow it by default, but in an enterprise solution where you are
reselling a service or application to a client, the potential for needing
third-party cookies can be pretty large.

John