tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: NEWBIE: New Tomcat installation -- no response in browser
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 12:06:57 GMT

No.  startup.bat/startup.sh calls catalina.bat/catalina.sh.  The startup
and shutdown scripts are wrapper scripts for the catalina script.

If you are using Windows, and you call startup.bat, then the console window
will close immediately upon calling catalina.bat, and you won't see any
error messages or anything printed to the console.  The assumption then is
that Tomcat started, which isn't always the case, since if it fails, it
will do so without having any console to print to.

The solution, then, is to call catalina.bat just as startup.bat does.  This
way, the console window is only running one script (catalina.bat) and will
not close.  Any errors that Tomcat throws will show up in that console
window.

For general use, the startup/shutdown scripts are the way to go.  For
debugging startup problems, especially on Windows, you want to use the
catalina script directly, without the wrapper script.

John