tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: JAAS LoginModule ?
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 03:50:49 GMT
It really depends on what you need to do.  For the simplest case, you
implement your own Realm (public class MyRealm implements
org.apache.cataliana.Realm), and configure it in server.xml like anyother
Realm.  In TC 4.x, Realms don't have access to the Request/Response:  They
just get the login credentials, and are expected to validate them (or not
:).

If you need more control on authentication, then you need to implement a
custom Authenticator (public class MyAuthenticator implements
Valve,Authenticator).  This class gets full control over authenticating a
Request, and can access anything in the Request/Response.  You configure it
via:
<Context path="/myapp" docbase="webapps/myapp">
   <Valve className="com.myfirm.mypackage.MyAuthenticator" .... />
</Context>

Neither of these (but especially the second) plays well with the admin
webapp.