tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Question: Tomcat Security Handbook
Date Sat, 24 May 2003 04:48:28 GMT
On a Windows box, the main advantage to running as a Service is that Tomcat
will start up every time that the machine is re-booted.  If you don't care
if your IT staff calls you up at 3AM to tell you that they just re-booted
the machine, can you please drive down and startup Tomcat for us?,  then no
problem ;-).

"Lior Shliechkorn" <liorshliech@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm reading the "Apache Tomcat Security Handbook" (ISBN 1-86100-830-9...if
you're interested in looking to get it). I'm running Tomcat 4.0.5, which I
will shortly upgrade to 4.1.18) on Windows 2000. For security purposes, it
is recommended to create a "Tomcat" account that has very limited
permissions and that runs Tomcat as a service.

> My question is whether I need to run Tomcat as a service once I create
this tomcat account? Can I still run Tomcat as Standalone? What is the
benefit/drawback of running Tomcat as a service?