tomcat-users mailing list archives

From johannes.fi...@fwd.at
Subject RE: manager app+ant bug's n' blues - continued
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 09:17:53 GMT
Hi Yoav,

I've inspected the Tomcat-source responsible for doing the install action
based on the manager app and would suggest the following solution:

1,) The ManagerServlet could be replaced with a Backend class integrated
into axis. This would make it easier for other applications to talk to
Tomcat during deployment.
(this would be quite easy)
A separate ManagerApplication could replace the ManagerServlet.

2.) WAR consistency check
After step 1 is completed, the install function could be extended the way
that posting two attachments is possible, one WAR file and one MD5 hash
file or something like that.
This would allow the ManagerApplication to check for completeness and
consistency of the WAR file uploaded. It could even be extended to perform
real authentication (allow only WAR files of trusted signers). Wouldn't
that be nice?

This would allow to reject invalid WAR files and to have higher security
than using username/password. The trusted CAs could come from the same
path Tomcat uses when doing client certificate authentication.

3.) docBase parameter overriden by context.xml
At StandardHostDeployer.java, line 244ff. the docBase is calculated based
on the WAR file location.
If the deployer of Context.xml is allowed to set the docBase to something
different, it would be possible to have a pseudo-context, which access
another application already deployed at Tomcat.
(maybe a attribute should be included like "usegivendocBase=true" or
something like that should be used to prevent accidentally setting the
docBase.

What do you think about these ideas? Should I implement these changes on
my own, and how could I commit them later to the Tomcat community?

thx
Johannes