tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam M Gunther <amgun...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat out of memory -Liunux
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 14:38:49 GMT

JDK:  Sun 1.3.1 and IBM 1.4.0.
OS: Win XP Prof, Win 2K, Red Hat 8.0, SuSE 8.0

Interestingly enough, I have not seen the problem with Sun 1.4.0, Sun
1.4.1, or IBM 1.3.1 JDK's.

Adam Gunther
IBM Emerging Technologies Toolkit
Autonomic, Grid, and Web Services Technologies
Research Triangle Park, NC
(919) 543-6091 T/L 441-6091
amgunthe@us.ibm.com
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/ettk

                      paul niemandt

                      <maudib@acesurfer        To:       Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      .co.za>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  RE:  Tomcat out of memory -Liunux

                      05/02/2003 10:35

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

hiya:

Have you guys tried different jdk versions? I know in one of the recent
jdk versions there was a memory leak in stringbuffer I think? {Sadly I
can't remember the source of this info :-() This would especially impact
systems which parses a lot of xml files.

just my $0.02

regards,
Paul

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 15:20, Adam M Gunther wrote:

> I am too experiencing the same problems.  I am currently playing around
> with session timeouts, JVM heap size, etc. to fix it.  However, here is
the
> interesting part.  When I deploy the same applications with TC 4.0.6 or
> 4.1.18, I do not have any problems.  I only run out of memory with TC
> 4.1.24.  Does anyone know if something changed in 4.1.24 to cause this?
> have set up and configured all settings the same for each version of TC I
> have tried.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam Gunther
> IBM Emerging Technologies Toolkit
> Autonomic, Grid, and Web Services Technologies
> Research Triangle Park, NC
> (919) 543-6091 T/L 441-6091
> amgunthe@us.ibm.com
> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/ettk
>

>                       "Shapira, Yoav"

>                       <Yoav.Shapira@mpi        To:       "Tomcat Users
List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>                       .com>                    cc:

>                                                Subject:  RE:  Tomcat out
of memory -Liunux
>                       05/02/2003 09:07

>                       AM

>                       Please respond to

>                       "Tomcat Users

>                       List"

> Howdy,
> Search the archives of this list.  This question is asked more than once
> a week and you'll find many answers.
>
> You will likely need to increase memory allocated to the JVM heap, using
> the -Xmx256m (or whatever you need if not 256MB) switch to JAVA_OPTS in
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh.
>
> Yoav Shapira
> Millennium ChemInformatics

intended