tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johannes Fiala" <tom...@fwd.at>
Subject Upgrade your webapps easily HOW-TO (requires ant/manager app practice)
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 17:21:39 GMT
Hi there,

I just created a patch for my release-switching problem, which allows to
deploy a Context which points to a specific docBase to Tomcat. This allows
you to have a lightweight "pointer-app" which only points to a specific
version of your webapp (=the current version).

Example:
Suppose you want to update your application myapp-1.0 to myapp-1.1.

The lightweight pointer-app is named myapp and starts pointing to
myapp-1.0.
After you have deployed the new myapp-1.1 and run production-level tests
against it, you sooner or later want to upgrade myapp to point to
myapp-1.1. You can do that by changing the docBase parameter in
context.xml of myapp and then redeploying myapp using the ant manager
task.

You should already have used the manager app and ant to understand the
howto.

More info: http://www.fwd.at/tomcat/upgrade-webapps-howto.html

Conclusio:
You can upgrade to new releases of your apps
- easily
- safely (preventing yourself from bad surprises after deploying your WAR)
- and with a minimized downtime experience for your end users.

Enjoy!
Johannes