tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Buchanan" <brianbucha...@interfast.ca>
Subject RE: remote restart of server
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 13:06:51 GMT

If tomcat is running as a service, and you have an administrator account on
the machine (It's terribly difficult to give other users access to
start/stop services) you can start and stop the service in a number of ways.

>From a batch file I use netsvc.exe from the Windows 2000 Server resource Kit

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/default.asp

But you don't need that to do it interactively;

Start->Run->MMC Ok
Console->Add/Remove Snapin->Add->Services
Choose "Another Computer" and specify the remote computer name.
Close->Ok.
Open the services tree and start/stop your service.

If you _really_ want to get privledges on your user account, this article
describes the convoluted way to do it (Group policies probably doesn't
apply, and Method 2 works for W2K even though this article is for W2003
Server)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325349

Then you'd still do the mmc thing above, but you could only start/stop that
service.

._. Brian