tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server setup
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 02:45:41 GMT
Well Brian,

I think your last questions (and gripes) pretty well answer the first
question ("why is it a pain in the ass?").

While I think TOmcat is a great product and my hand to the open source
community for creating a great product ... the docs are SERIOUSLY LACKING
... PAINFULLY SO!!!!!

Another aspect of the pain I experienced went something like this:

I was integrating with Apache on Linux. turns out the version of mon_jk that
is the most current build is not compatible with the version of Apache that
shipped with Redhat linux (even though they were only an minor-minor build
difference).  Which was then going to require me to install and figure out
how to compile the C++ code on the linux server (and I'm not a C++ or a
linix person really, mind you)....all this just to get a compatible bridge
between Apache and Tomcat.  And those two are SUPPOSE to go well together.
I could only imagine how much fun you'd have integrating with IIS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian McDonald [mailto:b.mcdonald@ieee.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 7:27 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server
setup

This will probably sound stupid... and naïve... but why? Why is it a pain in
the
ass? Why - as I have already found out - doesn't the IIS HowTO, for example,
jive with reality? I personally haven't been able to follow the instructions
because the "sample" properties files

workers.properties, and
uriworkermap.properties

are not in the /conf directory as specified. And I don't know what to do
since
they are not there and the Workers HowTO does not tell me what these files
have
to be to work with IIS in a standard config.

Brian