tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server setup
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 02:18:49 GMT
For development purposes I'd just go standalone.  Setting up configuration
with another http server can be a real pain in the ass....why subject
yourself to it?  Standalone will have all you need to build your app.

Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian McDonald [mailto:b.mcdonald@ieee.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 7:07 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server setup

Hi Tomcatters,

I am totally new to the world of installing/configuring/running an
application
server. What I would like to know - and what information I have not been
able to
find in the Jakarta Tomcat documentation - is information telling me whether
or
not I should install Tomcat stand-alone or integrated with a Web server.

My objective here is to configure two machines - a Windows 2000 Professional
desktop and a Windows XP laptop - as development systems for an end-to-end
XML-based JSP application. I wish to basically set up an environment where I
can
develop a JSP application and verify that it will run correctly when I
upload it
to my web host which has an Apache-Tomcat web server.

What I've been thinking is that I would use an IIS-Tomcat configuration for
the
development. But I've since read that Tomcat should be installed
"standalone"
for a development system (see here
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html). My question is: should I?
And
more to the point: is there any reason why I shouldn't use a full-up
IIS-Tomcat
configuration for development?

Any insight much appreciated.

Brian