tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <>
Subject RE: development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server setup
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 02:18:49 GMT
For development purposes I'd just go standalone.  Setting up configuration
with another http server can be a real pain in the ass....why subject
yourself to it?  Standalone will have all you need to build your app.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian McDonald []
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 7:07 PM
Subject: development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server setup

Hi Tomcatters,

I am totally new to the world of installing/configuring/running an
server. What I would like to know - and what information I have not been
able to
find in the Jakarta Tomcat documentation - is information telling me whether
not I should install Tomcat stand-alone or integrated with a Web server.

My objective here is to configure two machines - a Windows 2000 Professional
desktop and a Windows XP laptop - as development systems for an end-to-end
XML-based JSP application. I wish to basically set up an environment where I
develop a JSP application and verify that it will run correctly when I
upload it
to my web host which has an Apache-Tomcat web server.

What I've been thinking is that I would use an IIS-Tomcat configuration for
development. But I've since read that Tomcat should be installed
for a development system (see here My question is: should I?
more to the point: is there any reason why I shouldn't use a full-up
configuration for development?

Any insight much appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: