tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Wiseley" <m...@wiseley.com>
Subject Re: adding hosts without restarting
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 03:25:47 GMT
Jake,

Thanks for your reply. I would assume that it would require a restart if there weren't JMX
beans and an admin web tool that can add hosts, presumably without a restart.

Different ports wouldn't do. Here's the issue. An application service provider (call it xyz.com)
offers their service as a customized web site for clients. Client A would pay for their site
at clienta.xyz.com, which is a virtual host running on the same port (80) and IP as www.xyz.com.

The service provider allows clients to purchase this service on their web site and they need
to add the new site and have it working as part of the transaction, so restarting tomcat doesn't
fly.

I know both Weblogic and Websphere (and IIS for that matter) offer methods of doing this w/out
restarting... and it seems as though Tomcat does too. I just can't seem to find anyone who
has done it.

Matt