tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mufaddal Khumri <mufad...@wmotion.com>
Subject Re: HTTPS --->> HTTP ?
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 10:58:35 GMT
Craig's  reasoning is correct. But ... it depends why you would go from
HTTPS to HTTP.  The reason not to go is to keep the session id secure.

HTTPS through out keeps your username and password (any data) and
session id secure .. thru the users session.
HTTPS for login only keeps only the username and password secure.
session id is exposed.

Out of the above two it depends on your business model to choose what
you want to do depending on content and keeping in mind that username
and password once compromised for a user is absolutely horrible.
Getting hold of a session id for the user on one occasion is bad. but
tolerable since that session id is only valid for a particular session.

Therefore using HTTPS to login and HTTP later is not that bad. Infact
not at all bad if the content or service you are providing is of that
nature.

Thanks.