tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <>
Subject RE: Multiple instances
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 08:41:29 GMT
Some of our reasons to do this:

better separation between the applications:
  - If one webbapp needs to go down for maintainance, the others can
    still run.
  - Better control on the resource usage.
    As you can't define memory settings on the context level, there
    is no way to retrict the memory usage of a webapp.
  - Better control which webapp can access which files. (Each wepapp
    has a dedicated operating system user, so it's much easier to define
    which right a webapp has on which files. This is quite important to
    us, as different webapps belong to different customers)
  - If one application runs havoc (OutOfMemory, DeadLocks, etc), the other
    applications keep running, as long as the application doesn't
    consume 100% of the cpu.
  - The possibilty to use different tomcats and jdk's for each webapp.
    (We have some application that run better under the IBM JDK and
     other run better under the Sun JDK.
  - You win scalability. If you would like to put it on a different
    machine to get more performance it's much easier if it is running
    in a dedicated instance.

The downside is, that you need more memory to serve the same amount of
applications. (As none of our server reaches it's limits we don't have
a problem with that).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message