tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wilson, Chip" <Chip.Wil...@archongroup.com>
Subject SwallowOutput with JavaService
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 21:16:59 GMT
Hi all,

We have a number of apps deployed in a Tomcat 4.1.24 environment on Win2K.  They are deployed
using XML context configuration files like this one:

<Context path="/bts/Disposition" docBase="../bts/disposition.war"
        debug="0" crossContext="true"
		swallowOutput="true">

             prefix="localhost_Disposition_log." suffix=".txt"
          timestamp="false"/>

</Context>

When we run Tomcat from a command prompt, our messages to system.out are correctly swallowed
and sent to the log file specified.  However, when we deploy Tomcat as a Windows NT service
using JavaService (tomcat.exe), our messages to System.out are no longer swallowed and sent
to the log file.  We have tried various configurations of JavaService, including with and
without a stdout file of it's own, various settings for current working directory, etc.  Nothing
seems to correct the problem.

Does anyone have any clue how to remedy this situation short of rewriting all of our logging
to not use system.out?  We really need to run Tomcat as a service, and we really need our
system.out messages to be captured.

Thanks in advance.

--Chip