tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: JSDK/JRE
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 19:51:15 GMT

Howdy,
This should be in the FAQ: I'm sure Senor Funk will add it to
tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net soon enough.  The question has been answered
in the archives several times.

Right now, tomcat needs the JDK in order to compile JSPs into bytecode.
If you don't use JSPs or precompile them, you can get away with just the
JRE.  There is a licensing issue in JDK vs. JRE.  But there's also the
issue of once you're running with a JRE, not JDK, you have not fulfilled
the tomcat installation requirements and so are less likely to receive
accurate support from this list or other sources.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

JSP