tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Determining JVM stability
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 14:06:13 GMT

Howdy,
If the JVM crashes due to its own internal fault, it produces two things
on Solaris:
1. A core file with a traditional core dump... Google the web for
analysis tools for these files, but it's nasty and you likely don't need
to do it, because:
2. A file named hs_err_[pid].txt where [pid] is the JVM process ID when
it was crashing.  The file will be in the current working directory for
the JVM, so wherever you started it from.  The file will list what the
JVM was doing when it was crashing, what libraries were loaded, and
other helpful information.  You can put this file on the BugParade when
opening a new JVM bug issue with Sun.

If the hs_err file is not there, it wasn't an internal JVM crash, but
rather a problem in your code.  (Or, unlikely but possible, a crash in
tomcat).  If this is the case, post your stack traces and maybe we can
help more.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Thread.run()

>Anyone know of OR have seen any problems of this nature?
>
>Anyone know of a tool or software component that can verify that in
fact
>there is a problem (i.e. that the JVM is crashing) with the underlying
OS
>libraries or something thereof.  Maybe there's a default JVM switch
that
>could be turned on to spit out debug info before it dies.
>
>Any ideas are totally welcome... (barring rebuild the OS that is).
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Nikolaos
>

>2003-05-16 11:21:26 CoyoteAdapter An exception or error occurred in the
>container during the request processing
>java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve
.jav
>:164)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.
invo
>eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
480)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:4
32)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process
Conn