tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Java Process Pegging
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 17:08:53 GMT

Howdy,
So many variables in your environment, it's hard to tell.

Have you ruled out garbage collection as the cause?  You've run with
-verbose:gc and saw that during this high CPU usage period, the JVM was
NOT repeatedly doing full GCs?

I doubt it has to do with tomcat, but you can narrow things further by
enabling debug="99" everything in tomcat's server.xml, so you can see
what tomcat is doing.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

RPM,
>mod_jk2 compiled from source, and Java 1.4.1 from Sun RPM.
>
>My CATALINA_OPTS are "-server -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -XX:NewRatio=12
>-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy"
>
><Connector> uses minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="100" among other
things.

>It's a 2-proc box with hyperthreading so it appears as a 4-proc box to
Red
>Hat 9, 2GB of physical RAM installed.
>
>And yet, shortly (sometimes an hour, sometimes 3, one memorable time 20
>minutes) after the system starts, the Java process (it appears to spawn
>only
>one when viewed in pstree or top) pegs at 99.9% of CPU, and eventually
>stops
>responding to any requests of any kind.  I thought it might be memory,
or
>garbage collection management, which is why the funky flags on
>CATALINA_OPTS.
>
>The site (same code base) in question runs well on Apache 1.3.27,
Tomcat
>4.0.6 and mod_webapp 1.2.0-dev on some RH 7.2/7.3 servers without this
Java