tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat & Memory handling...
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 13:04:15 GMT

Howdy,
I'm a bit staggered by your observations ;)  Let's examine...

>Hello. I've been using Tomcat now for quite some time. I've upgraded to
>4.1.24, and I've noticed that when it loads each virtual host's context
it
>in a sense "reserves" memory for each one. This, in turn, decreases the
>overall RAM on my server.

How did you "notice" that tomcat "reserves" memory for each vhost?  Can
you demonstrate this in some sort of test case that someone else can
run?

>The problem is that it seems to "lock" the memory into each virtual
host
>and doesn't allow it to "swap" with other virtual hosts configured in
the
>server.xml file.

You do realize the above behavior is practically impossible to achieve
in a JVM, even if you try it?  You can't regionalize the JVM's memory
space.  And once again, how do you conclude the above?  Why are
"reserves", "lock" and "swap" in double quotes in your message?

I think you may be confusing your app's behavior with tomcat/vhost
configuration.  All services within the tomcat instance share one JVM
instance and therefore share one memory space.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics