tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: Do I need 1 or n Tomcats ?
Date Mon, 05 May 2003 17:23:46 GMT
Hi,

I think you might at some point want to setup 2 instances of tomcat, running the same applications
on the same machine, only to have two loadbalanced JVM working with your applications, just
for failover. If one crashes you still have another one running, you could even setup watchdogs
to watch each instance of tomcat and start it up again, if it goes down.

You would have to have apache or some http server in front of those tomcat instances to do
loadbalancing. This kind of setup may be more overhead and there for not really what you want,
it may result in less performance but you should be getting more uptime, if done correctly.

I think how many users you have is not relevant for this question, as you should not espect
this to increase performance.

Hope it helps
-reynir