tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Naden" <Dave.Na...@sas.com>
Subject RE: J2SE vs. J2EE
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 18:16:58 GMT
Thank you; this list is great!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 2:07 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: J2SE vs. J2EE

J2EE consists of far more than just the servlet api.  Tomcat is a servlet
container and already provides the servlet api for you.  What it doesn't
provide a an EJB container.  When people talk about Tomcat not being a J2EE
container, that isn't quite what they mean.  Tomcat is a container that
provides functionality of part of the J2EE spec.  What they really mean is
that Tomcat is not an EJB container.  In all cases, you need the J2SE, but
Tomcat already provides the appropriate parts of the J2EE api that it
supports (servlets and maybe some other stuff).  This is why you don't need
the J2EE.  In fact, most servers will come with all the api's you need and
you won't really have to download the J2EE distribution.

Jake