tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Smith <li...@invisiblesun.net>
Subject Re: good books on Tomcat
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 16:45:35 GMT
I just bought "Mastering Tomcat Development" by Harrison & McFarland
from Wiley Publishing  and I'm loving it.

It's a nice broad overview of stuff, with enough detail to sink your
teeth into it. The focus is on development so after the initial
Install, config and management chapters it jumps into, JSP, Taglibs,
MVC with Struts, Templates (Velocity), DB pooling w/ JNDI, database
aware objects (roll yer own), Security.  Then the last 3rd of the book
they go into best practices by detailing a development process:
Structuring your work environment, using cvs, ant, tesiting with junit,
and top it all off with the worlds most complex Hello World project (An
MVC implemention with JSP, servlets and even an Applet.).

I started from nothing and was up and programming within a day.  Oh,
McFarland uses OS X so there's plenty of specific detail for it (though
they don't ignore Win or *nix)

-Matthew