tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: server.xml (with mod_jk configuration) being rewritten
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 03:04:43 GMT

The ant "deploy" task definitely will cause Tomcat to rewrite the
server.xml. This is to persist the information about the context so it can
serve it up after a restart.  However, the server.xml rewrite shouldn't
remove data (other than comments) from the server.xml.  What it does seem
to do is write each element with every possible attribute, but that isn't a
big deal.  If some of your non-commented elements in server.xml are being
removed upon server.xml rewrite, then you should report this as a bug to
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/ .

BTW, using Apache with a context deployed via the ant manager "deploy" task
kind of defeats the purpose of using Apache.  Usually, the idea is to let
Apache serve static content to take the burden off of Tomcat so it can
peacefully serve dynamic content.  However, since context's deployed via
the ant manager "deploy" task are served directly from the .war file, there
is no static content for Apache to serve since Apache requires the context
to be in a directory, not in a .war file.

You might want to use the ant manager "install" task instead of the
"deploy" task.  The server.xml will not be rewritten.  However, upon each
restart of Tomcat, you will have to do the install again because it is not
persisted across restarts.

Jake