tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: Modifying Tomcat's classpath
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 13:11:40 GMT

I'd suggest that you have individual log4j.xml files for each webapp and
either put log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib or share it across all apps by putting
it in CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.  Of course, doing the latter makes it so
that each webapp gets it config overridden each time a webapp is
configured.  The solution is to use a custom repository selector which
facilitates the use of separate logger repositories.  You can read about
that here:
http://www.qos.ch/logging/sc.html

I've implemented a standard InitContextListener + some custom repository
selectors which will allow you to make this simple in a webapp and provide
full control over where files get written (if using a file appender) via
web.xml configuration.  Each log4j.xml can use environment variables to
dynamically use the logging path given in web.xml.  Furthermore, you can
override the web.xml <context-init> parameters via <Parameter> elements
nested in <Context> elements.  This gives the deployer full control without
having to modify anything inside the webapp.

You can find all this in the jakarta-log4j-sandbox CVS repository.
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html

See:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-log4j-sandbox/src/java/org/apache/log4j/selector/

and
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-log4j-sandbox/src/java/org/apache/log4j/servlet/InitContextListener.java

View the javadoc for those files to find out how to use them.  The javadoc
is pretty detailed.  Use the build to generate the selector and servlet
jars.  When you use them, make sure you put the selector jar wherever you
put the log4j.jar and put the servlet jar in you WEB-INF/lib.

Jake