tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Galuza, Mike" <MGal...@dejarnette.com>
Subject RE: Newbie: IP Address not working, localhost okay
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 21:23:37 GMT
Thanks for your help and patience, John.  Before even reading through your
whole email I looked at the sample mod_jk.conf and it game me an idea.  In
my servers.xml, in the <Host name=... line I just changed the name from
localhost to my hostname.  Now it seems to work!  I can access it from other
machines with the hostname or IP Address!

I am seeing some strange behavior when trying to access it from a browser
running on the web server, but that doesn't concern me too much.

After getting it to work as noted, I took a closer look at your email.
NameVirtualHost * is commented out in my httpd.conf.  I'm going to leave it
as is for now, but maybe I'll play around with this more later.  I just want
to get the darn thing working the way it was under the older versoins of
Apache/Tomcat, then I'll tweak things and try to understand it better.

Thanks again John

-----Original Message-----
From: John Turner [mailto:tomcat-user@johnturner.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 16:44
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Newbie: IP Address not working, localhost okay

Sample mod_jk.conf:
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/mod_jk_conf.html

I posted this yesterday in response to someone else.  This is for a virtual
host other than localhost:

In httpd.conf:

NameVirtualHost *

In Tomcat's server.xml:

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

<Host name="your.host.com" debug="1" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true">

In mod_jk.conf (or httpd.conf):

<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
  LoadModule jk_module /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so
</IfModule>

JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel debug

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName your.host.com
    DocumentRoot /some/path/to/tomcat/webapps/yourApp
    # Static files
    Alias /yourApp "/some/path/to/tomcat/webapps/yourApp"
    <Directory "/some/path/to/tomcat/webapps/yourApp">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        DirectoryIndex index.jsp
    </Directory>
    <Location "/yourApp/WEB-INF/*">
        AllowOverride None
        deny from all
    </Location>
    <Location "/yourApp/META-INF/*">
        AllowOverride None
        deny from all
    </Location>
    JkMount /*.jsp  ajp13
    JkMount /servlet/*  ajp13
</VirtualHost>

Repeat server.xml Host container and httpd.conf VirtualHost container for
every virtual host desired.

HTH

John

On Wed, 14 May 2003 16:27:14 -0400, Galuza, Mike <MGaluza@dejarnette.com>
wrote:

> My host name is in the DNS (at least I assume it is since I can ping my
> host
> name from other machines and my host name isn't in their hosts file).
> Still
> doesn't work.  Added it to the hosts file as well, still doesn't work.
>
> I'm starting to get really frustrated because this all worked great under
> Apache 1.3 and Tomcat 3.3 (with no special setup).  I decided to upgrade
> and
> the configuration has been very slow going so far.
>
> Any other suggestions?  Does anyone have a sample mod_jk.conf that works
> with a host name or IP address in place of localhost so that I can
> compare
> it to mine?
>
> I'm about ready to give up and go back to the old versions.
>
> Thanks

>>> for me (as suggested in your instructions).  So do I need to turn off