tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Geralyn M Hollerman <gmh2...@louisiana.edu>
Subject Apache 2.0.45/Tomcat4.0.4/mod_jk/ajp13 - I got it to work!!
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 16:21:10 GMT
Whew! It's all over now but the documentation...

After over a week of scouring the Net, reading documentation over and
over to grasp any possible subtleties, and basically trying anything I
could think of, I have at last gotten my Apache to talk to my Tomcat via
mod_jk - I know yesterday I posted where I was trying mod_jk2, but since
I couldn't get that to even serve static pages and mod_jk WOULD, I
decided to try mod_jk again. So I went back thru my configs and re-set
everything to the way I'd first tried it, and I got to the same point -
in using the Tomcat /examples, I could get static pages (like .html) to
display, but .jsps and servlets would give me 400 (Bad Request) remarks
in my apache log

For some reason, I happened to stare at a comment in my server.xml file
-
"    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that
processes
         every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand
alone
         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes
them
         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->
"

this was right before where the <Engine> element is for the Tomcat
Standalone engine. When I re-read it, something in me said "Of course!
You fool, you haven't told the <Engine> that's doing the ajp13 stuff
which host to use, you haven't given it any <Context>s, how is that part
of Tomcat supposed to know what to do when it's handed a request?!" I
copied all the stuff from my <Host> element and below, to its </Host>,
in the Standalone Tomcat engine (which I'm using on port 8080, just to
make sure I can still "see" stuff thru Tomcat) to beneath the definition
of the Tomcat-Apache engine where the ajp13 stuff was used. I restarted
Tomcat, then Apache, and the example servlets and .jsps now executed!

Ok, now that I know more about Apache, Tomcat, mod_jk, mod_jk2, and
ajp13 than I ever wanted to...

I'm not in a mood right now to see how mod_jk2 works in the mix...maybe
later - I don't want to tempt fate right now. But I'm pretty confident
that now it'll also work fine.

Thanks to all those who have put up with me and helped me with my
trials! I will try and return the favor - just ask!

--
Lynn Hollerman.