tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Geralyn M Hollerman <gmh2...@louisiana.edu>
Subject Re: Need Help in clearing my doubts
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 12:56:16 GMT
Joe wrote:
> According to one of the mail which I have received, I saw him putting
> this in apache : httpd.conf:

> ====
>   JkWorkersFile
> /home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/conf/workers.properties
>   JkLogFile /home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/logs/mod_jk.log
>   JkLogLevel debug
>   JkOptions +ForwardDirectories
>   Alias /examples /home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/webapps/examples
>   <Directory "/home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/webapps/examples">
>         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>   </Directory>
>   <Location "/examples/WEB-INF/">
>     AllowOverride None
>     deny from all
>   </Location>
> ====
>
> I tried putting the same thing into my httpd.conf, and now accessing the
> example folder on port 80 works!.

Joe,
'gmh2441' is me! That was an effort of mine, based on something I'd read
- I've been to John Turner's site and tried his HOW-TO, but since we
weren't using the exact same versions, I wasn't sure whether it would
work or not. What I have read since, in an Apache-Tomcat book at a local
bookstore, was that I needed that <Directory> entry in there. It works
for you? That's GREAT! It didn't for me - but then again, there may've
been something else unintended in there - I'll have to look again. I can
get static files to display, but I can't get .jsps or .class files to
execute - I see from my apache log that every request gets a 400 (bad
request) response.

> My question is :
>
> 1) Based on the above config, it is asking apache to 're-direct' this
> folder to the tomcat container and thus run on it. In that case, is
> apache pushing all the jobs to tomcat instead?. What if some of the
> files in this folder contains some html and is tomcat or apache
> processing it??

I think there was a "JkMount" directive after all that - I believe that
would decide which files go to Apache and which to Tomcat.

> 2) Secondly, if I were to have more folders which I need to publish on
> the web, does it mean that I have to add or of it on this config file in
> order for it to work?

Try this URL for the answer to this - it's a sample mod_jk.conf file
from John Turner.

http://www.johnturner.come/howto/mod_jk_conf.html

Basically, if I understand your question right, the answer is yes.

> 3) I would appreciate if there are some kind soul could give me some URL
> on how to utilize apache tomcat to process both static and jsp content.

Well, for starters, John Turner's site (http://www.johnturner.com) was
excellent; there were some answers at the apache site
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/); some more good advice at
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials; and at
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/11/20/tomcat.html. There was
also something I found useful, about mod_jk2, at
http://www.pubbitch.org/jboss/mod_jk2.html. But the main thing I found
was that about every site I went to, I had to REALLY look around to find
what I needed - and more often than not, I had to settle for a partial
answer to any question I had.

HTH!

--
Lynn Hollerman.