tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject Re: error starting apache w/ mod_jk2
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 00:20:34 GMT
Hello Vincent,

Pascal Chong is me. I use the "pseudonym" for 2 reasons :

1. Most Caucasians have difficulty parsing Chinese names -- they don't
know which is my family name and which my given name. This results in
some bizarre things like being called Mr Meng, or hey, Yu. Having an
English name helps.

2. Pascal is a name I had to adopt when I was studying in the l'Institut
Franco-Singaporien (the French-Singapore Institute). Everyone had a
French name there because my French lecturers had difficulty pronouncing
our Chinese names, which, though sounding far sexier when said with a
french accent, were often twisted in ways we could never have imagined.

On to your question :

If you notice, the entry in the error_log says : "[notice]" not
"[error]". I have a theory on this, but I'm not sure if it is correct :

Some contribution was probably made to the mod_jk2 code base and/or
documentation by a Japanese. The reason for this assumption is the look
and feel of the documentation pages for mod_jk2 which differ from the
rest of the Tomcat documentation. There are other clues in the error
messages. This is significant because I am thinking that the phrase
"mod_jk child init 1 -1" actually refers to a one-to-one or
non-load-balanced configuration. In other words, it should read "mod_jk
child init 1 - 1". Seen in this light, the error that you saw may seem
to indicate that one part of your configuration is not being seen by
mod_jk2. This would align with my own impressions of Japanese software
(yes, I have some experience, having worked with Japanese wafer
probers). But again, this is just conjecture. The developers of mod_jk2
have been silent on this list, so we may never know.

Regards,
pascal chong