tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Hughes - LISAsoft <ahug...@lisasoft.com.au>
Subject Re: configuration issue
Date Mon, 26 May 2003 02:34:57 GMT
I'm no expert but I think you will find that the problem is not tomcat.
Yep you need a public ip for it to work, and I would say a dns entry
somewhere also. For example, if your machine is called 'fred' you should
be able to 'ping fred.yourdomain.com' and recieve a reply. At the moment
I'm guessing you can only ping the ip number address. A dns entry will
link that PUBLIC ip address number to the dns entry 'fred.yourdomain.com'

I don't know how to fix the problem (especially in windows, I'm linux),
but I can tell you what I think it is.

Hope this helps you out.

Kwok Peng Tuck wrote:

> You need a public ip for this to work.
>

> William Richardson wrote:
>
>> I am still relatively new to the "non-Microsoftian" way of doing things,
>> so please forgive this question.  I have downloaded tomcat 5 and
>> extracted the zip file to the hard drive (I am still using Windows BTW).
>> I have started the server using the 'startup.bat' file and I have tested
>> it using http://locahost:8080 <http://locahost:8080/>  and everything
>> works perfectly.  However, when I attempt to access the server from the
>> internet (not on our LAN here at the house), I am unable to do so.  I
>> realize that I am more than likely overlooking some tiny configuration
>> issue probably found somewhere in one of the configuration xml files
>> somewhere.
>> If you would.please humor me this one time!  Thanks in advance for the
>> response.
>>

>> William D.W. Richardson
>>
>> willyd82@bellsouth.net
>> wrchrdsn@memphis.edu

Andrew Hughes
Software Engineer / Application Developer, LISAsoft Pty Ltd
B. Comp. Sc.

http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.ardec.com.au

Sydney                        Adelaide