tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2 + Tomcat 4.1.x + mod_jk2
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 14:52:07 GMT
John Turner wrote:

> I'd say there is something wrong with your JNI setup.  But that's just
> a guess, since I don't use JK2.  Since you are using JNI, doesn't that
> mean that Apache starts Tomcat without your intervention?

Quite right. I kind of guessed that too, from the error messages. It's
interesting that JNI plays such a big part in this connector. In mod_jk,
the "plumbing" seems to have been abstracted away, which is a good thing
IMHO. Anyway, I'm trying to think of which directive it is in
jk2.properties and workers2.properties that I configured wrongly, or
omitted. The thing is, there are 2 possible directives in jk2.properties
that refer to JNI explicitly :

# In order to enable jni use any channelJni directive
channelJni.disabled = 0

and

# If set to inprocess the mod_jk2 will Register natives itself
# This will enable the starting of the Tomcat from mod_jk2
apr.jniModeSo=inprocess

I tried commenting out the first one. Well, this had the effect of
disabling all the servlets in /examples. The second one seems to have
more effect than merely starting Tomcat when Apache starts. I was not
able to get Tomcat to startup without errors standalone when I commented
this out. Unless there is a third directive I do not know of, I'm quite
frankly, stumped !

I'm thinking that perhaps I should post my findings on tomcat-dev
mailing list, where (I assume) the developers of mod_jk2 may be able to
address the issues personally. Is this a good idea ?

Thanks again for the input, and Regards,
pascal chong