tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject Apache 2 + Tomcat 4.1.x + mod_jk2
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 09:03:32 GMT
Almost done ! I got the setup working after some trial-and-error poking
around. I have several questions though :

1. It appears that there have been some changes in the configuration
files : for example, the web application contexts are no longer
"mounted" using the JkMount directive in httpd2.conf, as they were in
mod_jk. In fact, it appears that mod_jk2 reads configuration information
first from jk2.properties, then workers.properties. For people using rpm
files to install mod_jk2, the file mod_jk.conf appears not to be needed
anymore.

2. I understood how the connector worked in mod_jk, where you had to
name a "worker" (in mod_jk.conf or httpd.conf, with JkMount directive),
then specify the port, host and type for that worker in
workers.properties. This was your "connection" between Apache
(httpd.conf) and mod_jk (workers.properties). For mod_jk2, there seems
to be no configuration information in httpd2.conf (except for the
LoadModule directive), and mod_jk2 appears to obtain its configuration
information from jk2.properties, followed by workers2.properties when
Tomcat starts up. Am I correct in this observation ?

3. For my setup, it seems as if Apache 2 is trying to attempt two
connections. Why I say this is : when I startup Tomcat, followed by
Apache later, I can access my servlets and JSPs, but, invariably, after
the first attempt fails with an Internal Server error. I will get an
error that mentions a timeout when Apache tries to connect to Tomcat
(see below, from error_log for Apache 2):

[Thu May 15 12:56:36 2003] [error] lb_worker.service() worker init
timeout for channel.jni:jni
[Thu May 15 12:56:36 2003] [error] lb.service() worker failed ajp13:jni
[Thu May 15 12:56:36 2003] [error] lb.service() unrecoverable error...
[Thu May 15 12:56:36 2003] [error] mod_jk.handler() Error connecting to
tomcat 120000

But the next attempt and every subsequent attempt after that succeeds.
This is more an annoyance than anything else, but since I am going to be
drafting a short HOW-TO on this, I thought I should at least be as
thorough as possible. Or is there something wrong with my jk.properties,
workers2.properties?

Thanks and Regards,
pascal chong