tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>
Subject Re: Multiple instances
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 10:47:31 GMT
On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:41, Rohit Peyyeti wrote:

> I need to setup multiple tomcat 4.1.24 instances (for each of my web
> applications). I did read RUNNING.txt shipped with tomcat distribution
> -- but was not very clear. Can I give multiple entries to CATALINA_BASE
> environment? What if I want to run 5 to 6 different instances? How exactly
> should it be configured?

I'm not sure if there are any howto's around for this, most likely there is
but the way I do it to simplify matters is just to copy the whole tomcat
directory and then change various ports in server.xml (I'm at home so I
haven't got the list in front of me).

Then if you wish to install NT services (are you using Windows) there is a GUI
tool available that makes this nice and easy, search the archives and you
should find it easy enough. If you are using linux you should be right if you
just run ./startup.sh from each directory, same with windows if you don't
want to install a service, just run the startup.bat file.

You can set it up so you share some of the core of Tomcat but I prefer not to
complicate matters as Tomcat isn't huge so there is no real overhead in just
keeping multiple copies of the binary.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge