tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lior Shliechkorn <liorshli...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question: Tomcat Security Handbook
Date Sat, 24 May 2003 04:18:52 GMT
Hello,

I'm reading the "Apache Tomcat Security Handbook" (ISBN 1-86100-830-9...if you're interested
in looking to get it). I'm running Tomcat 4.0.5, which I will shortly upgrade to 4.1.18) on
Windows 2000. For security purposes, it is recommended to create a "Tomcat" account that has
very limited permissions and that runs Tomcat as a service.

My question is whether I need to run Tomcat as a service once I create this tomcat account?
Can I still run Tomcat as Standalone? What is the benefit/drawback of running Tomcat as a
service?

Thanks,
Lior