tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lior Shliechkorn <liorshli...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Question about Connection Pooling and roles
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 16:56:08 GMT
I'm trying to implement the connection pool with Tomcat though. I set up the JNDI resource,
and I want to be sure that I can implement connections that can sometimes write to the database,
and connections that can only preview the databse.

Thanks.

"Prabhakar, Achal" <APrabhakar@Central.UH.EDU> wrote:
I am not sure if it is supported by other databases, but in case you are
using Oracle you can use proxy connections.
The following link shows a sample of how this is done.

http://otn.oracle.com/sample_code/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/files/9i_jdbc/OCIMidAu
thSample/SalesRepBean.java.html

Regards,
-Achal

-----Original Message-----
From: Lior Shliechkorn [mailto:liorshliech@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 3:41 PM
To: Tomcat
Subject: Question about Connection Pooling and roles

Hi everyone,

I was curious about JNDI and actual roles users play when accessing the
database. If I have a user that logs in and can only view and insert into
the database, and then a user that can view, insert, and update tables in
the database, what is the best way to go about assigning connections to each
user.

>From what I've been exposed to, I've seen that some connections, when
created for a certain user already have restrictions applied to the user. So
do I create two JNDI sources for a user that can get a connection that
allows writing to the database, and then one that contains the other
restrictions? So one database can pool more admin like connections, and the
other can contain restricted connections?

Thanks a lot,
Lior