tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gerrit Einhoff <>
Subject Session tracking over redirections with multiple domain names
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 22:46:31 GMT

I got the following web application setup with Tomcat 4.0.3 behind Apache 1.3:

JSP1 with a <form>
--POST--> servlet
--relative-redirect(response.sendRedirect())--> JSP2

A session is supposed to be held over all three requests (JSP, servlet, JSP).
The problem is that my host has multiple domain-names, but Tomcat sends the
redirect to the domain name that is configured in the <host>-tag in
server.xml. This is no problem with URL-rewriting but looses the session for
JSP2 if cookies are used.

<host name=""> and both point to the same virtual server in apache.

browse to:
submit form
--> request:
servlet uses response.sendRedirect("JSP2");
Tomcat sends:
--> redirect:

Now since the browser registered the cookie for, it does not send
it back for the JSP2 request. Therefore JSP2 requests a new cookie and looses
the old session.

Is there a way to tell Tomcat to use the same domain for redirect that the
request used? Is there another way to avoid this problem?

I already experimented with the <Alias> field in <Host>, but I don't really
understand what it's good for... Can anybody explain?

Thanks a lot, Gerrit

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message