tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vikas <viksd2...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject RE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 17:14:01 GMT
I am also facing same OutOfMemory issues.
It has also happened that Application stops responding even though JVM is up.Is it related
to OutOfMemory.
I have also read one comment earlier that if number of transactions are high Controller servlet
get blocked ...
Can anybody pls tell why application stops responding is it related to memory issue or something
else.

"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> wrote:

Howdy,

>I'm running 4.1.18 on RH7.2, with sun's jvm 4.1.1.

Wow, you're ahead of all of us by ~3 major releases! ;) ;) Assuming
you meant 1.4.1...

>I'm getting a lot of "out of memory" errors during expensive processes,
>like accessing thousands of lines from a database.

Run your app with a profiler to see where memory is being allocated.

>Is there a way to allow more memory space to tomcat in general, or
certain
>contexts specifically?

You can allocate more memory to the JVM, which tomcat uses. All
contexts share one JVM instance so you can't do memory tuning on a
context-specific basis. See Tim's FAQ and the Java VM Options page:
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/VMOptions.html

>The stack trace is enormous, or I'd include it. The problem does seem
>lie with tomcat rather than the JVM.

It may not be a problem at all: many programs simply require more than
the 64MB of RAM available on the default heap.

And as for the stack trace: it's always helpful. Usually snipping it
after the first few lines is OK.

Yoav Shapira

contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended
disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately
delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.