tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jens Skripczynski <skripi-li...@myrealbox.com>
Subject Re: (13)Permission denied while starting apache
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 13:13:20 GMT
Hi,

our you could bind it to some port > 1024 (e.g. 8080) and create forwarding rules
(with ipchains, iptables,... whatever your Kernel needs) to forward all
connections from e.g. port 80  -> 8080.

Thus you do not need root priviligdes.

John Turner:

> No.  Ports less than <1024 on UNIX-like systems are restricted to root
> access.  Unless you feel like hacking your own kernel, you have to be root
> to bind a service to a port less than 1024.  Or switch to a Microsoft OS,
> which doesn't have this restriction (unfortunately).
>
> John
>
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 02:20:43 -0700 (PDT), robin kurian <rkigns@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It worked!   Is there anyother way of starting apache at port 80 without
> >being a "root" group?
> >graghupathy@aegonuk.co.uk wrote:for using any port < 1024 you need to
> >start apache as root .... i would suggest you that you get yourself in
> >the "root" group...
> >
> >thanks guru

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
--
E-Mail: skripi-lists(at)myrealbox(dot)com

In this world there are only two tragedies; one is not getting
what one wants, the other is getting it.
                                  -- Oscar Wild