tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Wootton <Tim.Woot...@moneyline.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Startup problem
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 10:23:57 GMT
I'm not sure, but doesn't the j2sdk rpm install in
/usr/java/js2dk1.4.??????.
If that's the case JAVA_HOME would need to point to that directory.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: thomas.emde@scaleon.de [mailto:thomas.emde@scaleon.de]
Sent: 16 May 2003 10:39
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat Startup problem

Hello,

I installed tomcat 4.1.24 and j2sdk-1.4.1_02-fcs both as rpms under RH 7.3
Linux.
After some adjusting of file permissions due to "permission denied" errors
when
starting up Tomcat, these messages disappeared but Tomcat still won't start.
In /var/tomcat4/logs/catalina.out it says

Exception during startup processing java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)

These are the settings of ENV-Vars when starting Tomcat:

su - tomcat4 -c "/usr/bin/dtomcat4 start"
Using CATALINA_BASE: /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME: /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/lib/java
Using CLASSPATH: /usr/lib/java/lib/tools.jar:/var/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar

If anyone could give me a hint, I would be very thankful!

Thanks!

Thomas