tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Pond" <kevinp...@attbi.com>
Subject Extreme Newbie Question about using classes in Tomcat 4.1.24
Date Mon, 05 May 2003 19:57:30 GMT
Hi:
I apologize for this extreme newbie question, but I would like to use JSP
and I am stuck on a very basic question.  I have been searching Google and
see that a lot of people have similar questions there.
As a newbie, step one for me is a tutorial.  I am using the following:
http://www.jsptut.com/Forms.js.
This tutorial directs me to create a class and put it in the engine's
ClassPath.  My basic question is: where is this classpath?
What I think would be instructive for me and a lot of newbies would be if
someone could just get the tutorial example to work and then provide a
detailed list of the steps required to get it to work.  I realize that is
asking a lot, and I appreciate any help anyone can give.
I would like to add that I have gotten servlets to work.  For this I used
the following tutorial:
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html
I did need to change my CLASSPATH environment variable to include d:\JSPDev
(my development directory) in order to get Java to correctly compile a
servlet that uses a package and utility (Test 3.)
I have also added the location of the classes folder under the root
directory  to the CLASSPATH.  (Apparently, this doesn't matter for Tomcat
4.1, but I tried it anyway.) and I have modified the web.xml file.  I have
tried several versions of the web.xml, but none of worked.  It currently
looks like:
<web-app>
  <display-name>Welcome to Tomcat</display-name>
  <description>
     Welcome to Tomcat
  </description>

  <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

</web-app>
Nothing I have tried works.
I have been going at this for two days and I am about to give up.  If anyone
can help, I would be most grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
kevinpond@attbi.com