tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Collier" <j6coll...@earthlink.net>
Subject Typical newbie problems
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 16:00:08 GMT
I am trying to work through some servlet examples from a book
(Java for the Web with Servlets, JSP, and EJB) and am getting the
dreaded "HTTP Status 404" message, i.e., "The requested resource
(xxx) is not available."  This does not surprise me.  What concerns
me is that I have no clue how to go about finding out what the problem
actually is.

My version of Tomcat is 4.1.24.  I am using JDK 1.4.1_02.  I'm
not using an IDE or anything like that (though I would like to do
so eventually).  I can access the Tomcat documentation via
"localhost:8080" and run the various servlet and JSP examples included
with Tomcat.  As far as I can tell, I have all of the toy servlet parts in
the right place, i.e., the directory structure appears to be correct, there
is a simple web.xml file present, the toy servlet class file is in the right
location, etc.  I'm not seeing any exceptions in any of the log files
(had a couple early on due to a typo in the web.xml file).  I also added
a little snippet of code to the toy servlet to open a disk file and write
out
an "I am alive" message, but that is not happening either, so I am guessing
that the servlet is never getting called.

I'm guessing there has to be some sort of debug flag or setting that I can
use to see why this request is failing.  I've looked at the server.xml file
and can see a bunch of debug="0" statements.  Which one do I set
and what do I set it to to see why my toy servlet won't run?  Where will
the output appear?  I figure that if I can get Tomcat to tell me what it
is doing, that would be the first clue as to what is wrong.

Other suggestions about how to go about tracking down this kind of
problem would be appreciated.  I expect to be encountering this situation
rather frequently...

Thanks,
John Collier