tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brian McDonald" <b.mcdon...@ieee.org>
Subject development server (stand-alone) vs. deployment server setup
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 02:06:34 GMT
Hi Tomcatters,

I am totally new to the world of installing/configuring/running an application
server. What I would like to know - and what information I have not been able to
find in the Jakarta Tomcat documentation - is information telling me whether or
not I should install Tomcat stand-alone or integrated with a Web server.

My objective here is to configure two machines - a Windows 2000 Professional
desktop and a Windows XP laptop - as development systems for an end-to-end
XML-based JSP application. I wish to basically set up an environment where I can
develop a JSP application and verify that it will run correctly when I upload it
to my web host which has an Apache-Tomcat web server.

What I've been thinking is that I would use an IIS-Tomcat configuration for the
development. But I've since read that Tomcat should be installed "standalone"
for a development system (see here
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html). My question is: should I? And
more to the point: is there any reason why I shouldn't use a full-up IIS-Tomcat
configuration for development?

Any insight much appreciated.

Brian