tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joe" <joe....@sgweb.com.sg>
Subject Need Help in clearing my doubts
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 11:21:55 GMT
Hi all,

I have a question on running Apache and Tomcat with the use of mod_jk
connector. With all the guide I have gathered from the web. Below are my
configuration:

Red Hat 8.0
Apache 2.0.46 Using Port 80
Tomcat 4.1.24 Using Port 8080
J2SDK 1.4.1

I have no problem running these two applications. However, I cannot
seems to access the default 'example' folder that comes with tomcat on
port 80. Accessing it on port 8080 has no problem for me.

Please note that all my configuration is done with the help of the
following url:

http://www.johnturner.com/howto/rh72-howto.html

According to one of the mail which I have received, I saw him putting
this in apache : httpd.conf:

====
  JkWorkersFile
/home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/conf/workers.properties
  JkLogFile /home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/logs/mod_jk.log
  JkLogLevel debug
  JkOptions +ForwardDirectories
  Alias /examples /home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/webapps/examples
  <Directory "/home/gmh2441/uPortal/Tomcat_4-0-4/webapps/examples">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  </Directory>
  <Location "/examples/WEB-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
  </Location>
====

I tried putting the same thing into my httpd.conf, and now accessing the
example folder on port 80 works!.

My question is :

1) Based on the above config, it is asking apache to 're-direct' this
folder to the tomcat container and thus run on it. In that case, is
apache pushing all the jobs to tomcat instead?. What if some of the
files in this folder contains some html and is tomcat or apache
processing it??

2) Secondly, if I were to have more folders which I need to publish on
the web, does it mean that I have to add or of it on this config file in
order for it to work?

3) I would appreciate if there are some kind soul could give me some URL
on how to utilize apache tomcat to process both static and jsp content.

Thanks in advance,
Joe