tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <Larry.Mead...@plumcreek.com>
Subject Re: How to debug servlets under tomcat?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:41:38 GMT
Use a jpda debugger.

I use netbeans for this. Go to www.netbeans.org and get it, it is free.
Once you have an IDE installed (Visual J++ is a virus). Start tomcat
using this command from a cmd prompt:

   catalina.bat jpda run

That will start tomcat in that window with the debugger running.

Attach from your IDE, to localhost, port 8000 and you can set
breakpoints, watch variables, etc...

>>> torechia@attbi.com 04/29/03 06:31 AM >>>
I am new to Tomcat and java servlets.  I am running latest tomcat
standalone on windows/xp and am having some problems doing
transformations from xml to html in my java servlet.   How can I debug
this?  I would like to step over each line of code and see what is
happening.   I have a copy of Visual J++, but am not sure how to compile
and debug  my servlets in this environment since I am not running IIS.
Currently I am using ant to build and deploy my servlet.    What is the
best tool to debug servlets under tomcat and how can I get it started in
the debugger under tomcat?   Any help would be appreciated.