tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.1, Standalone, Port 80, Coyote
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:27:07 GMT

If you know you are root, and you know that your Tomcat is running as root
after you start it, and you cannot bind to port 80, that means something
else is already bound to that port.

How are you starting Tomcat?  Remember that just because you are root when
you run something doesn't mean that the final user is root.  For example,
if you are trying to start Tomcat via some sort of script, it is possible
that inside the script Tomcat is being started as a non-root user.

Simple test: as root, execute $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh.  If you still
get the bind exception, something else is on that port, most likely Apache.

There is nothing special that you need to do with Tomcat to use port 80
other than 1) changing the port in server.xml, 2) being root when you start
Tomcat and running Tomcat as root while it is up, and 3) making sure
nothing else is bound to port 80 ahead of Tomcat.

John