tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Servlet/JSP Slow Startup
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:09:56 GMT

Windows 2000 alone will use approximately 128-180 MB just sitting there.
So, by using those options, you told the JVM to allocate a minimum of 128MB
to Tomcat, which doesn't exist unless the operating system starts swapping
to disk.  Add in the (relatively) slow processor which would also indicate
a slower bus and a slower memory bus, and you have a recipe for a slow JSP
compilation.

Alternatives:

- precompile your JSPs if this is a production server

- increase the amount of RAM

- stop using the Xms and Xmx options and let the JVM and OS work it out
themselves

John