tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat IIS Authentication Problem
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:19:45 GMT
There is currently no support for two-way authentication Tomcat <->
Apache/IIS/iPlanet.  It is a wish-list item for a future version of Jk2
however.  At the moment, you can choose who authenticates if Tomcat ends up
serving the page.  What you can't do is to have Tomcat authenticate a user
for a page (e.g. default.asp) that the WebServer will end up serving.

"Mark Silva" <msilva@authenex.com> wrote in message
The authentication mechanism I am using is a custom one, meaning, it is not
the standard HTTP authentication.

It involves a few screens that are severed to the user, and also and applet
that communicates with some hardware on the client...

soo i need a way to do custom authentication, and communication between
tomcat and iis.  is this possible?  by custom authentication, all i need to
do is store some state information in IIIS, sent by Tomcat when the
authentication has happened, then the user can be redirected to the initial
page they requested (before they were made ot authenticate), and the IIS
filter should pass him through, due to the new state variable that is set.

hmmm...  a tough one, no?

thanks,
-mark

...written by reynir

Hi,
You should use isapi_redirector2.dll, and then you can flag where to do the
authentication by having the following line in your jk2.properties :

request.tomcatAuthentication=true

This means tomcat will take care of authentication, but if it's set to
false, IIS will do the authenticating.

Instructions on how to setup jk2 are available on the jakarta website, but I
also posted a quick manual on how to do it the most simple way, on my
website, you can check that out too.
http://www.reynir.net/tomcat/tomcat_IIS_service_jk2.html

Hope it helps
-reynir