tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Spies <jsp...@pantek.com>
Subject Re: apache 2.0.45/tomcat 4.1.24 mod_jk trouble
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:22:55 GMT
Clay,
Sounds like you've done everything correctly.  I'm beginning to suspect
the mod_jk compile, however.  If I'm not mistaken, it was compiled on 7.2
or 7.3 and this could pose some compatibility issues with glibc or another
library, depending on which versions they had installed and which
version(s) you have installed.  Also, have you tried removing the
  <IfModule !mod_jk.c>
    LoadModule ...
  </IfModule>

with just:
  LoadModule jk_module mod_jk.so

This would eliminate a potential "variable".  I could see implementing it
later, however while trouble shooting, I like to eliminate as many
variables as possible.

For my machine, I was forced to download the mod_jk source and compile
that since I was using the RedHat RPMS.  Here are the steps I followed:

  1.  Download the source tar file to /usr/src
  2.  Untar the file.  This created
      /usr/src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.2-src
  3.  I looked at the ant configuration but was in a hurry, so I stuck
      with the "old style" compile routine.  I found that the configure/
      make related files are located in jk/native, or in my case:
      /usr/src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.2-src/jk/native
  4.  I then ran the following configure command:
        ./configure --enable-shared \
		--enable-jni
                --with-java-home=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/ \
		--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
  5.  I then ran make and the files compiled properly.  In my case, I also
      had to install httpd-devel-xxx since apxs is part of that package.
  6.  I then copied the file apache-2.0/mod_jk.so to /etc/httpd/modules
      The full path to the file was:
/usr/src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.2-src/jk/native/apache-2.0/mod_jk.so

  7.  I already had a previously working Apache/Tomcat configuration
      files, so I plugged those into the appropriate directories and
      voila, it was working.  Now, there is one other difference here.  I
      am using Tomcat 4.1.18, not 4.1.24, however I don't see why this
      should be any different.  Assuming you are using mod_jk.so and not
      mod_jk2.so.

Let me know if this helps.  If you decide to take another path, or would
like to see the config files, let me know.

Sincerely,
Justin L. Spies