tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Sexton <jsex...@odshp.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.1, Standalone, Port 80, Coyote
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:57:32 GMT

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, John Turner wrote:
> Localhost must ALWAYS be the loopback, 127.0.0.1.  To do otherwise could
> (and probably will) cause all sorts of problems.

On review of my post I see I mis-stated what I wanted to say rather badly.
The situation is that the linux installs lately seem to put the hostname
on the loopback address line in /etc/hosts.  If one then uses localhost or
the hostname, either one, in some listeners configuration, it will not be
work from outside the machine.

One solution is to move the hostname to an entry for the external IP
address.

I ran into this with the Redhat 8.0 and 7.3 and with Tomcat and Sybase ASE
listeners.