tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Harris <shar...@myra.com>
Subject RE: java -server option
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:27:12 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.  We restart our tomcat server each night - allows
us a system maintenance window and database backups etc...  I guess the
notes I've read have talked about improvements in performance in long
running processes. As our system is restarted each day - but we have a
couple of hundred users - would this constitute a long running process and gain
any benefit.  Or is it simply a case of try it and see ?

Cheers - Steve

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Peter Lin wrote:

> from first hand experience it does make a difference. In the performance benchmarks Remy
and I ran, it can result in 30% improvement. Keep in mind the amount of improvement is really
dependent on your webapp and the type of processes you're running.

> in my case, I was using XML for the sample webapp. An application that is less memory
and CPU intensive will likely see a lot less benefit if any. One benefit in terms of runtime
optimization is running with -server for JSP shows a steady improvement in efficiency. Running
with -client the default, change the behavior of how eden memory is promoted to old.  the
only real way to know is to setup your webapp on a server and throw some load at it.

> hope that helps.
>
> peter
>  "Halstead, Chris" <Chris.Halstead@delta.com> wrote:This may not directly apply,
but we've been running '-server' with JDK 1.3.x/WebLogic/Solaris for over two years now. We've
only occasionally encountered an app that needs it turned off. IMHO if you do no other tuning
of the VM (total heap, new/old generation heap, etc.) you should at least use -server. The
-server option optimizes the default heap settings for long-running apps much better than
-client, and the HotSpot engine has been shown to significantly increase performance in many
cases. YMMV.