tomcat-users mailing list archives

From johannes.fi...@fwd.at
Subject Re: precompile and reloadable JSPs - possible?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:32:49 GMT
Hi Filip,

I asked nearly the same question some weeks ago, but the answer was that
the WAR cannot be changed during runtime unless the portability of WAR
files of Tomcat is violated. So it seems you cannot change a WAR file
during runtime without hurting the J2EE specs.

However, if you find a solution for this, I'd be very interested!
I think we could change the contents of the work-directory itself, but
then we would dig into Tomcat's internal management of WAR files....

thx alot
Johannes

"Filip Hanik" <mail@filip.net>
22.04.2003 21:29
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
precompile and reloadable JSPs - possible?

hi there,
is there anyone who has achieved to have precompiled and reloadable JSPs?
What I want is to be able to precompile JSPs, but also to change them and
have tomcat recompile them during runtime without reloading the context.
Currently, when we precompile, Jasper gives us a web.xml fragment that
turns
jsp pages into servlets, hence if the JSP file changes it is ignored.

anyone done this on Tomcat 4.1.24 or Tomcat 4.1.x?

What we did for Tomcat 3.x is that we precompiled the JSP pages into the
tomcat work directory, we could do something similar for tomcat 4, the
only
pain is that we would have to compile each directory separately because of
the way that tomcat assigns the package names to the generated servlets.

any thoughts?

Filip