tomcat-users mailing list archives

From johannes.fi...@fwd.at
Subject RE: Switching between releases during runtime
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:44:21 GMT
Hi Yoav,

*) I looked it up in the API docs, but found "allowLinking" is only an
attribute of FileDirContext. I'll try it on AIX tomorrow and let you know
what results this yielded.

This should be the correct syntax:
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
  <Resources
    className="org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext"
    allowLinking="true" caseSensitive="false" />
</Context>

BTW - it is  a bit stony to look up all the configuration options in
server.xml beyond the HOWTOs. Is there no other way than grabbling the
apidoc, which primary tells an options exists, but not how/when to use it
and which values it might have!

Sidenote: Does applying a Resource to the ROOT context mean its resources
automatically gets available for all other contexts?

*) The purpose of this method of deployment is NOT testing!
I usually test a new version at my development server, then at the
test-server and finally deploy it to production.
At production, I have the "active version" symlink and want to switch it
over to the next release, to have no downtime. This is the only target of
the whole operation! I don't want to put my customers off for 10 seconds
to show up 404 errors in a high usage environment.

thx alot for your input!
Johannes

"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
08.04.2003 19:53
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Switching between releases during runtime

Howdy,

>My issue relates heavily to the "High availability Tomcat webapps using
>ant undeploy/deploy??" question I posted as well.

I figured ;)

># create symlink
>ln -s myapp-1.0 myapp # create a symlink to point to myapp
>==> http://localhost:8080/myapp first gives a 404 not found. After a
while
>(probably after Tomcat has created /work/Standalone/localhost/myapp
with
>the contents of myapp-1.0) it works as expected.

Did you investigate the allowSymlink attribute (or whatever the precise
name) of the <Context> element in server.xml?

>Don't you think this would be a great thing to have in production? No
>downtime means no lost visitors!!

Actually I think it's an atrocious idea.  Testing of a release should be
done on a test server simulating production environment and load as
closely as possible.  Then the releases should be swapped with minimal,
but nonzero, down-time.  A new release is a significant event.  The
production server is not the place to do testing.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics